Plants can bring vibrance and amazing smells into your home.
But if you’re a cat owner, then you should be aware of exactly what you are bringing in.
There are many plants that are toxic to your furry little friend, and some of them may be growing inside of your house right now!
These plants can cause anything from upset kitty stomachs to even death.
Check out this list of 15 of the most toxic plants for cats and be sure to rid them from your house and yard.
Oleander is extremely toxic to cats and happens to be a very common landscaping bush in many neighborhoods.
Every single part of this plant, if ingested, can cause serious health problems for your cat.
These health problems include excessive drooling, pain, vomiting, diarrhea, low heart rate, and muscle tremors.
If your cat is showing signs of any of these symptoms, be sure to take them to the vet right away.
Although Azaleas are beautiful, they are very toxic to your cat.
If eaten they can cause vomiting and diarrhea, with other long-term effects also possible.
So if you’ve got these common plants in your backyard and you also have a cat, you may want to think about getting rid of them.
If you don’t want to get rid of them, keep a close eye on your cat, and be sure to take them to the vet if they exhibit any vomiting or diarrhea.
3. Dumb Cane
Dumb cane is a decorative plant that is commonly found in offices and homes.
It contains calcium oxalate crystals which are known to cause a burning sensation of the lips and mouth.
If your cat eats this plant, they could experience excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, and, in very serious cases, it can cause comas, organ damage, and even death.
Ivy is commonly found growing up walls and fences in the backyard.
However, if this plant is eaten by your cat, it can prove to be very toxic.
Some types of ivy grow little blue or purple berries.
Although these berries may look tasty, make sure that your cat doesn’t eat them or the leaves.
Your best bet is to just get rid of any ivy growing in your yard.
Hydrangeas are very common in gardens because of their beautiful flowers.
However, don’t let their beauty fool you–these flowers are toxic if ingested by your cat.
Common side-effects include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
If you’ve got cats at home, you may want to think twice about growing hydrangeas in your yard.
People love hyacinth because of their beautiful flowers and impressive fragrance.
Lucky for you, the flowers and leaves aren’t poisonous to your cat–it’s just the bulbs that you have to watch out for.
If you are planting them for the first time, make sure your cat isn’t around to take a curious bulb-bite.
And if the bulbs get dug up somehow, make sure to get rid of them or push them deep back into the soil.
Although Lillies are beautiful, they are very toxic to your cat.
If eaten, they can cause kidney failure.
This is one that you don’t want to mess around with.
If you suspect your cat of eating even 2 or 3 petals or leaves, you need to get them to your local veterinarian quickly to avoid further kidney damage.
This flower looks great around the holidays, but its mild toxicity to cats may keep you from bringing it home next Christmas.
If the milky sap from the poinsettia gets on your cat, it can cause skin irritation.
Not only that but if it is ingested, it can cause some gastrointestinal distress.
It’s up to you whether or not you have these plants around your house for Christmas, just be wary of your cat if you do choose to bring them home.
Although these beautiful flowers may remind us of spring, they are also toxic to cats.
The entire plant is poisonous to your cat so having them in the backyard or house may not be the best idea.
When ingested, these flowers cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, abdominal pain, and even heart arrhythmia.
Daisies are a very common flower to see.
They grow in many gardens and yards throughout plenty of neighborhoods.
But if you have a cat, try and keep them away.
If ingested, daisies can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, incoordination, and dermatitis.
Tulips may look beautiful, but they have a dark side for cats.
If eaten, these flowers can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and hypersalivation.
The most toxic part of this plant is its bulb, so do what you can to keep them buried and deep underground.
Nothing reminds us of the holidays quite like mistletoe.
But if you have a cat, you’ll want to watch out.
If your cat eats this plant, it can cause kidney failure, gastrointestinal upset, and cardiovascular problems.
Make sure to keep this out of reach if you have it in your home for the holidays.
Holly is another holiday favorite.
And again, it is toxic for cats.
When ingested, holly causes vomiting, diarrhea, and depression.
In order to make sure that everyone in your family has a good holiday–including your cats–make sure to keep this plant far out of reach.
This is very important one to know.
Rhododendrons may be beautiful but they can do some serious damage to your cat.
If eaten, your cat could experience vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, weakness, coma, hypotension, cardiovascular collapse, and even death.
If these are growing in or around your house, get rid of them immediately.
15. Sago Palm
These cool-looking palms aren’t so cool to your cat.
They are commonly found on tables and shelves in houses but their seeds can cause serious problems if ingested by your cat.
Some of these include vomiting, icterus, melena, liver failure, liver damage, and even death.
So if you have a cat, your best bet is to get rid of these palms completely from your house.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.